Saturday 5 July 2014

Day 6

Today was finally a good day on the scoreboard. I was doing the right things and the main reason for the good result was just not messing up. I had a few slow spots down low. Andy said that he even wrote down my coordinates from the tracker at one point in case he had to pick me up from the area but then that must have been what triggered a good thermal..

By not messing up today I finished 8th. The feeling for the day was just a relaxed and focused state not worrying about the scores or trying to think too much. I just flew my own race and made home.

I started with the Pole's and the fins just behind. We had a very good run into the first turn. The fins were just ahead for the last few k's of this leg. Christian flying VA is a great pilot to watch. He feels the air and extracts energy from the air very well so we had a little workshop session for 15km or so before I dropped off the back.
Past the turn and we had caught the main gaggle where I slotted into the top if the group. After 2 thermals it was just a Swed a Pole and I running to the second turn. Each time we stopped for a climb the gaggle would come in underneath. Around the turn and we had some breathing room on the gaggle. 4 knot climbs were not turned down but the occasional 5 gusting to 6 knot climbs were around the place. 10km from the 3rd turn we saw the Fins climbing and raced off to catch them. Still the Swed, the Pole and I; we came under the cloud 1500' lower than the Fins and couldn't find the climb. The pole and I moved on to the next turn connecting the dots between clouds. The next cloud didn't work so just hoping that the one after would. It did. It was just upwind of the turn and I drifted through the turn in 4 knots.

Almost back at cloud base and we started zig-zaging our wag across the cloud streets trying to fly the most efficient line. The other 2 we just slightly ahead and made the decision to fly more than 30 degree's off track to a good looking cloud. This is where we parted. I continued direct on track where there was a similarly dark Cu looking like a good thermal was beneath. There wasn't. I visualised the others passing well high oder head as I could see them climb well. I pushed on and ran the cloud street deviating more searching for the strong climb that I needed to match the others with their climb before. I chased a  gaggle of standard class guys into a giant thermal and took about 6kts average (bottom to top) back to cloud base at about 4700'. The 4th turn was bluing out and only whispy Cu remained. Out of the turn and I had another good climb.  This time the gaggle formed back underneath and the Swed was now down with them. 

Approaching Räyskälä from the south is scary stuff. There is no where at all to land.. except for lakes and trees and even a swamp or two. I played it conservative following the clouds toward the southwest of Räyskälä where I know a good field is. When I knew I could definitely make it back to Räyskälä then I left back on track for the last control point, 8km away from Räyskälä on the other side from where I was. I had a good margin for final glide now and raced home.

I was the first to cross the finish line by seconds and was the 2nd to land. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face I was so happy with my flight. The scores didn't matter but gee did it make it sweeter when they started rolling in and my name was sitting high on the list.

Tomorrow will be a repeat. I just have to relax and get back into the same groove. I can mix it with these guys.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome performance!
    Great to see that all the learning is now coming together.
    Give it another good go in the final race. We'll be barracking for you.

    ReplyDelete