Saturday 21 June 2014

WGC prep

So here we are, the opening ceremony of the World Gliding Championships is on tonight and it all gets real bright and early tomorrow when day 1 kicks off.

Adam and I have had as many training hours as possible over the last few weeks and our crew are well experienced in the lay of the land. We've both put in the effort over the last 12 months with many many many competition hours between us. Our gliders are prepped; Adam brought his gliders full panel from Aus and swapped it out with what was in his rented glider. My setup wasn't quite as smooth with the but after I landed yesterday Mike stripped everything back and sorted out each minor bug particularly the radio issues I was having. Everything is finally setup how I like it and I'm ready to race.

We'll see how well the the weather plays along for the first week of competition but if we do have days of glider throwing competitions then I'm very confident in the prep and practice I've had here. It is by far the the trickiest flying I have done; weather, terrain, it has been a very steep learning curve.

Of all the Finnish farmers and and all Fins I have met so far, I still haven't met a bad one. They really are great people, and if I have a 1 in a million hostage experience like Matt and Allan did yesterday then I'm sure the bottle of vodka in the front of the trailer will help.

Don't wish us luck, we've got no time for luck. It strong climbs and long glides that we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment